I may be slightly biased, but this is one of my favourite Italian indie rock bands. It may be due to the fact we’re class 1990, it may be the fact that I kept listening to the debut ‘Sh!’ for too much time (thank God the sophomore will be out soon), but Heike has the Giggles (Tumblr) is a band I strongly recommend for the lovers of catchy, short and loud songs (English lyrics, so no excuses people). The guys found some time to answer my questions whilst they finished recording the new album, out at the beginning of 2012. Let’s get to know them a bit more, shall we?
How would you introduce Heike has the Giggles to somebody who has never heard of you?
We are a trio from Ravenna (Italy), Guido plays drums, Matteo plays bass, Emanuela sings and plays guitar. We are cute and we love playing live.
– You’ve been labelled a pop rock band. To which extent is your music pop and in which way is it more rock-oriented?
Maybe we should ask the ones who said that… But they might be right since if there’s one thing that we can all agree on, it’s pop music and when we work together we really focus on the melodies, they have a main role in our music. Then we are a rock band because we play loud and fast!
– Question for Emanuela. Are there any other female vocalists, who influenced you as a singer?
I don’t know if some artist influenced directly the way I sing, but I’m a huge fan of PJ Harvey, Hole and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, that’s for sure.
– You released the single “Dear Fear” last June. We know your new full lenght is due to be release later this year. Can you give us any tasty information about it?
Actually I think it’s going to be released at the beginning of 2012, but I promise it’ll be worth the wait. It’s almost ready and we can’t wait to release it!
– Your debut album, “Sh!”, got the main theme of silence, incommunicability and also various forms of talking, as for example we get from the track “Stop Talking about Britney Spears”, which is about gossiping and backbiting somebody. Is there any thread in the sophomore album?
Some of the songs still got the main theme of incommunicability and stuff, for example there is a song in which the lyrics are totally random words put together, but this time we decided to talk about love and dreams too, we want to let the people know a little bit more of us, we want to be more open.
– A little curiosity. The location of the video of ‘Robot’ was the famous Doctor pong in Berlin. Was it already planned, or you just had a flash of inspiration? Can you tell us something about the genesis of it?
A Berlin based crew named K68 asked us to work with them and they organized basically everything. They found the perfect location, the actors, there were like thirty people on the set and we stayed in Berlin for almost a week. It was an amazing experience. We would like to clarify that we are not so bad at ping pong in the real life, we had to pretend! Haha.
– How was opening for bands like Glasvegas, Pete & The Pirates or Love is All? What’s the most memorable live performance so far? I don’t like to use the term ‘best’, because many of them can be somehow, but I think that memorable can be quite a good expression.
The night we shared the stage with Gossip is stuck in our hearts. We could see them watching us while we were playing and at some point during their show Beth Ditto asked the crowd to give us another round of applause… I mean, it was unbelievable. They are so lovely, we felt like we had been friends for years. We wish we could tour with them one day!
– You’ve been also playing a lot in festivals, from your recent performance at I-Day to the Sziget Festival and the Canadian Music Week (Toronto). Can you name a place among those, which will be stuck in your mind? Do you have any interesting anecdote about your live performances?
Good memories are countless… But here’s a lovely thing that happened recently: during our show at I-Day Festival in Bologna, as soon as we started playing our song “Stop joking about Britney Spears” we looked at the crowd and saw a huge banner bearing “SERIOUSLY, STOP JOKING ABOUT BRITNEY SPEARS”. So funny, that made us laugh a lot.
– If you had to choose one album from your youth, which one would you pick?
Emanuela: Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill
Guido: Offspring – Americana
Matteo: Incubus – Make Yourself
You’re all pretty young, from the beginning 90s, an also a relatively young band. How do you see yourself in 5 years?
We never had the chance to do a proper tour abroad yet, so we hope we’ll have the chance to do it since we want to be on the road forever.
Thank you so much guys for your kindness, good luck with everything and keep on rocking!